If this is you're first time visiting PreparedLDSFamily, this is the best place to start.
HOW THIS BLOG WILL INSPIRE YOU
First of all, this is not a food storage recipe blog. My goal is to inspire you and help you believe that anyone can do food storage. Whether you cook everything from scratch or are a semi-homemade cook like me, you can do food storage. By following my blog, you will learn how to gather food and emergency supplies while you grocery shop so it becomes a natural part of your life. Becoming self-reliant helps us become better able to help others. However, we are never completely independent since we are all dependent on our Heavenly Father who has given us everything. I also share spiritual preparation ideas, because that is the how we endure trials that come our way. And they always come.
HERE'S THE QUICK START
- Read the All Is Safely Gathered In: Home storage pamphlet from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are the experts on food storage. I refer to the 4 steps everywhere on my blog.
- STEP 1: 3-Month Food Supply
- STEP 2: Drinking Water
- STEP 3: Financial Reserve
- STEP 4: Long-Term Food Storage
- Read my post Food Storage: One Bite At A Time. Food storage is a process that takes time, so don't place an order for wheat today. Do your homework.
- Decide how much you want to store. Here is a list of a 3-Month Food Storage Supply that may help you get started. Your list does not have to be perfect. Just guess and substitute what you do eat. You may already have food storage your shelves and don't even realize it.
- Decide how often you can purchase food? Weekly? Monthly. I do a combination of both and created lists to help you throughout the year. They aren't perfect, but they will get you thinking and tweaking.
- Check out my 12 Month Food Storage Preparation Plan which includes suggestions of food storage and emergency items to gather/buy each week or month. If you click on the monthly or weekly links, you can read a post I've written. Only the 2013 posts are list. These lists have taken a lot of research, but they can help you focus on specific items to get each month, so you don't get overwhelmed. They include a 3-month amount to gather for one adult, as well as emergency items.
Disclaimer - Though I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I am not an official church representative; all posts are my own opinion. All suggestions about food storage or emergency preparedness or items to purchase, gather or store for your family are just that; suggestions. You are the best judge of what will work for your family. You promise to release me from all liability for any suggestions or opinion which may cause harm to you or your family. Thank you!