August 3, 2016

August Emergency Preparedness Goals - Fruits, Vegetables, Shelter and Bedding

My spiritual focus in August is to Be Nurturers and serve others during disasters. After my CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training, I began to see how each person can assist others after a disaster. In 3rd Nephi 8 - 17 in the Book of Mormon, some of the most tremendous disasters ever recorded occured in a three-hour period in ancient America: tempests, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds and upheavals in the land. After these experiences, Jesus Christ visited the survivors at his temple, teaches them his Gospel, heals the injured, and prays for their children. It is tender to read his love for them. We too can be his nurturing hands by helping those around us after disasters and during various trials.

In August, I focus on gathering fruits and vegetables. Many people are fortunate to harvest their own food and can it. If you have a small garden like me, you may need to buy most of your canned fruits and vegetables from the store. Even though I suggest gathering a 3-month supply on my printable list, I personally gather closer to a 6-month supply of these items because I have room to store them in my basement. I usually pick up some at the case lot grocery store sales in Utah.


It's best to buy and store what you're accustomed to eating every day in your 3-month supply, because you know you will use them. I store items I cook with such as corn for tortilla soup, green beans for chicken stew, canned chilies for shredded pork, French green beans because my husband likes them, mushrooms for beef Stroganoff, and fruits for salads. I know, we all like our fresh foods from the store. In fact we're pretty dependent on it, but there may come a time when you can't buy them and a can of green beans will taste like heaven. So, it's smart to store something on your shelf.

My emergency focus this month is to gather shelter and bedding such as a tent, a sleeping bag for each person, a large tarp, and rope or bungee cords. I know it is late in the summer to gather these, but you can find some of the best clearance sales right now. If you already own these items, pick up an different emergency item you couldn't get last month.

You'll always find water on my monthly lists since I gather a few cases year-round. Water is so essential to our existence, and disappears quickly from store shelves before or after disasters, so it's important to have some on hand. I encourage people to not keep their eggs in one basket; meaning, don't store it in one place in your home. After an earthquake, you may never reach one location, so keep water in a few locations. I store some in barrels in the basement, cases in my coat closet and pantry, and always a few bottles in my cars.

Our emergency fund has been growing little by little each month, and I have a testimony of building it. Since we starting building our financial reserve fund at the counsel of our church leaders, I've only had to use it once. But those funds have been built up again. I keep most of it in the bank, and a little at home for emergencies. I'm grateful for President Gordon B. Hinckley's counsel when he said"Begin in a small way, my brethren, and gradually build toward a reasonable objective. Save a little money regularly, and you will be surprised how it accumulates."

Summer is slipping away, so I hope you find time to use my August emergency prep list. Grammy just learned how to scan it into a jpg for you, so please share it on Pinterest. Thanks a bunch!

Little by little, month-by-month you CAN build your food storage and emergency supplies and make self-reliance a natural part of your life.

Best wishes,
Valerie


BE NURTURERS
"and he took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, 
and prayed unto the Father for them.” 
3 Nephi 17:21


You are free to print and share with others, but please mention my site.

Go here to see my 12 Monthly Preparedness Lists

5 comments:

  1. We just realized that our food storage is pretty lacking again. So, I came right back to you website and knew I could get back on track easily with your monthly calendars. I love them!! Thank you for making it so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the best places to find clearance sales on sleeping bags and such around here? (Kaysville, UT) that is on my list right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, try any of the camping stores like Big 5, Sports Authority, Camping Warehouse, Walmart, Target, etc. You can even go to Amazon.com. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. I love that your focus for being prepared for disasters is to help others. Thank you for sharing your advice and emergency list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...