Over the past four years, numerous articles have been written about food storage, emergency preparedness, and self-reliance in the Ensign magazine. Below you will find articles listed by year. As you prayerfully study some of them, I hope you will find the answers you seek on your quest to becoming better prepared.
- Everyday Home Storage (March) - Making home storage a part of our everyday lives.
- Follow the Prophet (March) - Both of us were thinking about how to start home storage for our family.
- In the Aftermath of the Tornado (July) - Members of the Church in Joplin, Missouri, were physically prepared for a natural disaster. More important, they were prepared spiritually.
- Natural Disasters -We Don't Have to Be Afraid (August) - As we seek Heavenly Father’s guidance, the Holy Ghost will help us prepare for, endure, and recover from natural disasters.
- Provident Living Prepares Us For the Future (October) - We believe in preparing educationally for employment, in preparing financially for a rainy day, and in preparing temporally for natural disasters or other challenges. Most important, we believe in preparing spiritually for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ and for living with our Father in Heaven again.
- How We Broke the Chains of Debt (February) - Our hearts were being prepared to truly follow the Lord’s counsel to stay out of debt.
- Sowing Seeds of Self-Reliance in Small Spaces (March) - Experiences and advice from members who have followed the counsel to plant a garden.
- The Lord's Richest Blessings (April) - As we pay our tithing faithfully, the Lord will open the windows of heaven and pour out upon us His richest blessings.
- Opportunities to Do Good (May) - The Lord’s way to help those in temporal need requires people who out of love have consecrated themselves and what they have to God and to His work.
- Making Principles of Welfare Part of Your Life (June) - Living welfare principles is about putting our faith in Jesus Christ into action.
- Catching the Vision of Self-Reliance (June) - Self-reliance involves several facets of a balanced life, including (1) education, (2) health, (3) employment, (4) family home production and storage, (5) family finances, and (6) spiritual strength.
- Work Is an Eternal Principle (July) - Since the time of Adam and Eve, work has been a way of life for all of us on earth.
- Getting Out of Debt-for Good (July) - The first step, and the most important factor in debt elimination, is a firm commitment to reject debt.
- Preparation of All Kinds Blesses Saints in Joplin, Missouri (September) - Emergency supplies from the storage of several Latter-day Saint families played a role in facilitating the Joplin Missouri Stake’s organization and action in the initial hours after a tornado devastated Joplin.
- Providing in the Lord’s Way (November) - The welfare principles of the Church are not simply good ideas; they are revealed truths from God—they are His way of helping the needy.
- Tithing: A Key to Peace in a Troubled World (December) - While cutting costs everywhere else, these families were blessed because they continued to pay tithing.
- Being Independent, Being Prepared (January) - How some young adults are applying principles of preparedness to their busy, mobile lives.
- Lessons from My Father (June) - The value of work.
- Investing in the Golden Years (July) - Preparing for the near certainty of old age is an important aspect of provident living.
- New Orleans Members Exemplify the Rescue (August) - Five years later, the recovery of the New Orleans First Ward is evidence of how, through the members of the Church, the Savior provides both physical and spiritual rescue to those in need.
- Growing Green Beans and Families (September) - I thought a garden would help me be self-reliant. Little did I know that it would also teach me about cultivating relationships.
- Mormon Helping Hands Completes First Decade of Service (January) - Service rendered by members of the Church around the world comes in many forms, but over the past 10 years that service has usually come in one color: yellow.
- Family Home Storage: A New Message (March) - About the new Church home storage. guidelines and the simplified Four-Step Approach to Home Storage.
- Becoming Self-Reliant—Spiritually and Physically (March) - From my experience, I believe that a few simple but very important principles can help prepare us to become more self-reliant.
- The Celestial Nature of Self-Reliance (March) by Marion G. Romney
- Saints Encouraged to Put Faith in the Lord’s Financial Plan (April)
- Becoming Provident Providers Temporally and Spiritually (May) - When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior’s example to serve and bless others.
- This Is Your Phone Call (May) -We now call upon you to mobilize our priesthood quorums in response to the employment and financial challenges facing our members.
- Focus on Family Finances (June) - Either we control our finances or they control us. Here’s how to get the upper hand.
- Stretching Your Dollars (June) - We can stretch our dollars by eating home-cooked meals, looking for bargains, and establishing a budget.
- Preserving Food When a Storm Hits Home (August) - When power is out for a few hours or a few days, what can you do to keep cold storage items from spoiling?
- Two Cans of Corn: Home Storage for Newlyweds (September) - By starting small, wisely using storage space, saving money, and gradually increasing their efforts, newly married couples can experience the blessings of peace and security that come from home storage.