Here is what we are working on this week:
INVENTORY: Emergency Kits. Look through your kits and make sure your supplies are all still there. Sometimes we borrow things out of our kits for other uses, like the jumper cables are missing from my car emergency kit. So look over your supplies.
3-MONTH FOOD STORAGE per person: 2 cans of stew. I usually get Dinty Moore, but you can get whatever you want in the size that works best for you. Smith's Case lot sale ends tomorrow, but they had a 24 ct. case of Dinty Moore beef stew for $1.99 ea. or $23.88 per case.
2-WEEK WATER SUPPLY: Accumulate 14 gallons of water per person (or 4x24 ct. cases per person). (Check the current case lot sale at Smith's, $2.50 for a 24 ct. case of Kroger.)
EMERGENCY FUND: Start small, but be consistent. Add $2.00 or more per person each week.
HOME STORAGE: Matches or several lighters.
72-HOUR KIT: Family photo.
AUTO EMERGENCY KIT: Blanket. I keep mine in the car year-round.
EQUIPMENT: Rope and/or bungee cords.
PREP GOAL: Winterize car emergency kits. Fall is a great time to do this. I will suggest items to add over the next few weeks, or you can do it all at once by reading this post.
HOW TO USE THIS LIST:
1. Decide on a monthly home storage budget.
2. Decide what you want to gather or do from the list.
3. Multiply amounts by number of family members.
4. Adjust amount for younger children.
5. Adapt, adapt, adapt. These are only suggestions. Pick and choose.
6. Each week look for store sales that match your goals.
7. Carry your list with you or put it on your cell phone notepad.
You are never behind if you take one step forward!