CASE LOT SHOPPING TIPS
- WHAT IS A CASE LOT SALE? About 3 times a year, several grocery stores in Utah have case lot sales where you can buy 6, 12, 24 or 48 cans or packaged foods at a reduced price. There are also some freezer foods as well. You can also find dehydrated foods in #10 cans and buckets of wheat, oats and more at reduced prices.
- COMPARE PRICES All items in a case lot sale are not the cheapest, so it is best to compare. Unless you have lots of experiences with food prices, I suggest you review my Utah Case Lot Sale Price list and decide in advance which items you want to purchase. It compares the case lot prices to regular prices found at Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, the LDS Home Storage Center and a few food storage companies.
- SHOPPING PLAN Planning beforehand will prevent shopping on impulse. You might get star-struck when you walk into a store and see all of those stacked cases. So it is best to come prepared with a list, gather only what you need, and get out of the store as quickly as possible.
- BUDGET Set a budget limit. You don't want to go in debt for food storage. "Patience is a virtue." Realize this is not the only sale. There is always another sale just around the corner.
- CONTAINER SIZE Only buy foods your family will eat or use, so you don't waste money. Stock up on the container size your family will use before it goes to waste. For instance, a 40 oz. peanut butter would go rancid in my family before an 18 oz. one will. And so would a gallon of oil, so I buy the 48 oz. size. Even though larger may be cheaper, it may not be the best choice for your family.
- OTHER SALES There are case lot sales in January, March/April, August/September in Utah. And there will be some great baking item sales in November and December on items such as flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, cake mixes, evaporated milk, etc., so you do not have to buy those items now unless you are really low.
- SINGLE ITEMS AT THE SALES PRICE Some stores like Maceys let you to buy single items at the case sale price. This is helpful for those of you with limited storage space who may not want a whole case of one item. It also helps you buy a variety of foods. Smith's does not allow you to break a case.
- AVOID DISTRACTIONS Shop without little kids. Teens are great for lifting items or pushing an extra cart. But it's difficult to fit a child in a cart and 4 cases of food.
- ORDER IN ADVANCE Some stores let you order cases with a list found at the customer service desk. Love that! Fill it out and leave it at the desk, then come back when you are ready to pick up your cases. Call the store customer service desk to find out if your store does this.