June 25, 2011

Trying Out Bountiful Baskets


To help me have more money to stock up on my food storage, I always look for ways to save money on my groceries. After some encouragement from my son and daughter-in-law, I went online Monday and placed an order with a food co-op called Bountiful Baskets. They deliver in 15 states. Most of you have already discovered this great find. I paid $15.00 plus $1.50 handling fee for a total of $16.50, and the $3.00 first-time basket fee to get two baskets of surprise fruits and vegetables.

So, at 6:45 a.m. this morning (I'm an early riser) I arrived at my Kaysville location with my grocery bags and watched volunteers filling about a hundred laundry baskets (they reuse them) with fruits and vegetables. Two of those baskets were mine to put items in the bags I brought.

After weighing and counting everything,

I ran over to my local Smith's grocery store to compare prices. Don't get me wrong. I like Smith's (SM), but I had to compare. I used their regular and sale prices. Here are the results:

8 Granny Smith apples ($2.70 SM)
6 Mangoes ($2.47 SM) How to store and prepare
14 Limes ($3.92 SM)
5 Bananas, extra large ($1.71 SM) (I like the smaller ones at Smith's)
6 Peaches ($3.52 SM)
8 Plums ($4.58 SM)
1 lb. Strawberries ($2.19 SM)
1 pint Grape tomatoes ($3.00 SM)
1 Green lettuce head ($1.29 SM)
1 Cabbage ($1.59 SM) Try KFC Coleslaw
1 Green onion bunch ($.69 SM)
6 Carrots, lg. ($1.39 SM)
1 Celery bunch, lg. ($1.29 SM)

Bountiful Baskets: $16.50
Smith's: $30.34
That is a 54% savings!

The smart thing would be to find a friend and order two baskets, then take turns picking up. Mmmm. If you need recipe ideas for the foods that come, check out the Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op Facebook page.

7 comments:

  1. sounds awesome! Wish they did it in CA. I guess I need to go to my farmer's markets more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I am grateful to live in Ohio and have our own produce growing in our small city yard! Your grocery prices are even much higher than here! Glad you could find a way to save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have been doing BB for a few year and it is always nice to see the savings. I featured your post over on my blog:

    http://savvydivasanddudes.blogspot.com/2011/06/bountiful-baskets-101.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't seem to be as good of a deal here in Phoenix. I was so excited when I joined but then compared the prices for what I got a couple times and saved 15 to 65 cents for the whole basket - that was all. And I weighed and counted all of it. And the stuff I got in the basket was not impressive. One time it was 3 cucumbers. I would never buy 3 cucumbers in a week (1 lasts me 2 weeks), so I had to give them away. The next time the tomatoes were green and hard and never did ripen up. Several people I work with like them, but I didn't find them to be a good deal. We used to have Smith's here and they weren't the cheapest grocer. I wonder if you compared prices to other grocers if the savings would be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. We don't have that here, but if we did I would order 4 baskets ($60) and can or freeze the extra for my storage. That is a great price for produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess with Bountiful baskets, you have to be creative with what they give you. I skipped this week because tomorrow there will be some great 4th of July produce sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to have Bountiful Baskets in Arizona, but it isn't available here in Colorado. We found several farms in our area that offer crop shares. We pay $300 by June 1st and get to fill out large basket with fresh veggies from their stand at the farmer's market once a week from June 15th through the end of October. This is our third summer doing it and we have really enjoyed having fresh produce from a local farm :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...