May 16, 2011

My 2-Loaf Wheat Bread Recipe


Many recipes make 4 loaves of bread, but sometimes I only want two. So here is my 2-Loaf Wheat Bread recipe. First of all this is not a 100% wheat bread recipe, but it does contain more wheat than white flour. And second of all, I am not a great baker. But after trying bread recipes over and over again, this one is working for me. I live in a higher altitude, so I do not know if your results will be the same. But my kids say this is good bread. The wheat I used was hard red wheat from my food storage.

I grind a #10 can, and then store what I don't use in the freezer.

2-Loaf Wheat Bread

1/2 c. warm tap water
2 T instant yeast
1 t. sugar
2 c. hot tap water
4 c. wheat flour
2 c. white flour
1 T salt
1 T dough enhancer
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. honey

1. Spray 2 glass loaf pans with cooking spray.
2. In mixer bowl with dough hook (I have a KitchenAid) combine 1/2 c. warm water, instant yeast and 1 t. sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add hot water and 4. c. of wheat flour. Beat on low speed for 10 min., periodically scraping sides of bowl. Beating that long helps knead the dough so don't stop too soon.
4. Add salt, dough enhancer, oil and honey. Beat well.
5. Add 2 c. white flour, one cup at a time, and mix on low for 10 min.
6. Dough should pull away from sides of bowl and form a ball on dough hook. If it does not pull away add flour a little at a time until it does.
7. Spray hands with cooking spray over sink.
8. Remove dough from dough hook and divide in half. With your hands, shape into 2 loaves. My mom used to say it was just like patting a baby's bottom. Then put in loaf pans.
9. Cover (I used plastic, but you could use a towel) and let rise until almost double (30 - 40 min.).
10. Turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 - 40 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, and then remove from pans to continue cooling.

Tip: Let the uncovered bread rise in a slightly (turn oven on for 5 minutes and then off) warm oven, and then turn on to bake after it has risen.

Printable 2-Loaf Wheat Bread recipe

The plastic on my rising loaves does not stick because of the cooking spray. The large baggie in the background contains freshly ground wheat just ground in my Magic Mill. It is now in my freezer for future use. Add it to waffles, pancakes, more bread, etc.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this bread recipe-I have tried lots of recipes to find the perfect wheat bread-This is it!! Its not too heavy, not to light, more wheat than white flour. Easy to make, only 2 loaves!! Perfect for us!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. How will this recipe work for someone who is pretty much sea level? Is this recipe written for high altitude and if so what do I need to do to make it work for us folks "down here"? It sounds awesome and I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Whitney: I think this recipe will work well for you. It may need less time to bake. Here in Farmington, Utah, we need to bake a bit longer. This link has lots of good information on the affects of altitude on baking: http://www.pillsburybaking.com/bakers_corner/high_altitude_baking.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question. What if I don't have a mixer? How would I make this by hand? Would you be willing to test it by hand and let those of us without mixers know how it worked and what to do?
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, I'm sure it would work by hand. Here is a post with a different bread recipe I did by hand http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/making-plain-old-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for something this good for a long time. Thank you for steering me down the right road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. would this work for canning in jars? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you can put ingredients in jars.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...