October 7, 2010

Car Emergency Kits: Fall Is The Time to Update



Fall is here and so is the cooler weather. Now is a good time to update your car emergency kits. Below are some items I want in our cars. It took me two hours to work on my Honda Pilot today. I moved things around in various places in the car. Everything is not in the red bag. So read on.



Emergency Radio Station:
Set one of the car radio buttons to the emergency weather station in your area. Emergency Radio AM Emergency & Locations Utah
Green Bin :
  • One of the most useful items I keep in my car is a good blanket. Now that it's cooler, I'll add another one. We've used it to sit on, bundle up in, and cover up groceries on a hot day. It can also be used to treat someone in shock or move an injured person.
  • Walking shoes (can you imagine walking 10 miles in heels?)
  • Beanie and mittens
  • The bin could also be used to carry things

Insulated Cooler Bag w/shoulder strap:
  • If I had to walk, I could carry some things in the bag
  • Water bottles (one per seat)
  • First aid kit (refill band aids)
  • Feminine items
  • Jumper cables
  • Small tool set (may need to tighten battery cables)
  • Bungee cords
  • Extra batteries for flashlight
  • Toilet paper roll in plastic baggie
  • Cleaning rag (yellow can be used as signal)
  • Plastic kitchen trash bags (useful for cleanup)
  • Duct tape (tear off larger roll; wrap around self)
  • Matches
  • Emergency flares
  • Work gloves
  • Hand warmers
  • Whistle and small mirror
  • Multi-tool w/pocket knife
  • Bright bandana (left over from Trek; could be broken arm splint)
  • Emergency Cash ($20)
Driver's Door Pocket
  • Flashlight
  • Umbrella
  • Snow/ice scraper (oh where, oh where has it gone!)
  • Snow gloves
  • Plastic rain poncho
Driver's Seat back pocket

  • Activities for kids to pass the time
Glove box

  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Detailed area map
  • Important papers
Console Bin In-Between Two Front Seats
  • Food bars, easy open canned fruit, canned nuts
  • Hand lotion
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Dental toothpicks
  • Plastic forks/spoons (keep extras from fast food)
  • Paper towels (folded in baggie)
  • Pad of paper
  • Pen/pencils
  • Small scissors
  • Car cell phone charger
  • Pocket pack Kleenex
  • Chapstick
Other Items:
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Small shovel
  • Jack for tires (mine is built in)
  • Spare tire (have air checked when rotate tires)
  • Chains (I have 4-wheel drive)
  • Car fuses
  • Fix-a-Flat
Printable Car Emergency Kit list
Read my older post My Handy Dandy Emergency Car Kit

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this list. It's great. We've been looking into what exactly we should do and I believe we will begin here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u for the list of great things and helpful things to keep in the car. My husband and I go out of town a lot and have two toddlers and the activities would be great if something were to happen. Again thank u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a good list - I have printed to out. Wanted to mention this, though:

    An important thing that I do not see - not only in your kit but almost every one suggested is ...
    LIFE HAMMER (full-size)
    - keep in console or glove box
    + ResQMe (keychain version)

    These two items allow you to cut a seatbelt + break side window in order to get out of a car after an accident.
    ... or *into* a car in case you stop to help at an accident.

    Neither great pre-planning nor first aid kit nor anything else will make a difference if driver or passenger is unable to exit the vehicle.

    Thank you for a good website!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, I'm not LDS, but I also think that having supplies in the car is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope somebody took your advice and stocked their cars. This has been a very snowy winter across many parts of the United States, including areas where people don't usually see snow in the winter.

    I heard about people in Buffalo trapped in their cars in the snow overnight. Having food and extra blankets would have been a blessing to them. You could also include some salt or several pieces of thick cardboard to place under tires to gain traction when stuck. (Most of us don't have four wheel drive.)

    Winter is not the only danger, however, so you should also include a 72 hour kit for everybody in the family in case you have to evacuate on short notice.

    emergency food supply

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the helpful information you give.
    I am in New Zealand so we have some differences in what is easy to purchase, but your ideas have been very helpful.
    I work as an EMT and as our town has just had some areas of severe flooding I am pleased we are ready, due to your great lists.
    My 2 boys on the day of the flood were very excited they might get to use their 72 hour bags!
    Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, you are one forward thinker! I like how you segregated your tools; that’ll make for easier access should accidents or emergencies (I hope not) happen. Also, it’s great that you included items that can be used for a variety of situations. That’ll surely give you the confidence when driving during winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...