September 19, 2010

Herriman Fire Evacuation Grab & Go List

The current fire in Herriman has caused well over 1200 households to evacuate. I talked briefly to friends preparing to evacuate tonight. The most difficult thing was to gather scrapbooks and photo albums. I am sure they are safe.

Thank goodness there are plenty of Utah Valley friends and relatives that evacuees can stay with. Love that about Utah! However, evacuation travel on roads can become congested and it may take longer than people expect to leave, so preparing for a longer drive with some extra food and water can be helpful.

Attached is a Grab & Go list of things I made for our family to take in order of importance if we ever had to evacuate. It is helpful to write this before you ever need to evacuate when your mind is clear. It is divided by importance depending on the amount of time you have to evacuate. This is a personal decision for everyone, but I hope this list helps some of you or your family and friends plan and prepare.

See my new Prioritized Evacuation List pdf. (added June 28, 2012)

Emergency Evacuation Grab & Go List (added September 19, 2010)

My former post on the same topic can be found here.



Go here for 72-hour Kit Container ideas
Go here for 72-hour Kit Food Pack ideas
Go here for Additional Family Emergency Supplies ideas
Go here for 72-hour Kit Personal Supplies ideas

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this. I was just thinking as we were watching ksl about the fires, that I would be a disaster right now having to evacuation... meaning our 72-hour kits need some tlc... a grab-n-go list is such a great idea. if the wind would have been blowing the other direction, it could have been us evacuation. yikes! better get prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! We live right down the street from the evacuation and it really made us think about how prepared we are (not nearly enough!) but never have we thought about what the roads would be like with something like this happening. And sure enough the roads were so busy. Its defiantly something that needs to be prepared for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog.Thanks for all the great information; I am going to recommend this to my children.
    I have a blog called Living Waters:
    Here is the link you might check it out. Blessings to you! LeAnn
    http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I have mine posted on the inside of the pantry door. This fire was the first time I've needed it and I'm grateful I didn't have to add the stress of what to take to the list.

    Great blog.

    http://thesurvivalmama.blogspot.com
    @TheSurvivalMama

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great blog, although most mom's have a first aid kit getting serious about survival and disaster preperation isnt so big in the UK. i have just got all my fire safety and survival equiptment from www.discountfiresupplies.co.uk included is a few grab n go evacuation bits too.
    it is so important to keep your children safe. there are always families in the news who die needleesly in fires, so very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...