April 9, 2010

Poisonings: Utah Residents Die at Twice the National Rate

"Whether it’s an overdose of pain medications or being overcome by toxic fumes, Utah residents die at twice the national rate from poisonings, according to new state figures. The Utah Department of Health reports 21.3 Utah deaths from poisonings each year per 100,000 residents. The national average is 11 per 100,000 people.

Most poison exposures occur with products that are used often. Below are a few tips to help you reduce the chance of poison exposure in your home or workplace.

• Store all household products and medicines out of reach and out of sight of small children and pets.
• Store all medicines separately from household products and household chemicals away from food.
• Always read the label before using and follow the instructions on medicines, cleaners, pesticides, automotive, lawn and garden products for their proper use.
• Never store potential poisons in containers used for eating and drinking. Store all potential poisons in their original, labeled containers. Leave the original labels on all products.
• Never refer to medicines as candy to a young child.
• Avoid taking medication in front of small children.
• Turn on a light when taking and giving medication.
• When you are using household chemical products and medicines, never let them out of your sight, even if you must take them along when answering the telephone or doorbell.
• Clean out your medicine cabinet periodically.
• Use child resistant closures.
• Remember that carbon monoxide exposures are considered a poisoning, and make sure your home has a working detector."

Read more here:
Take Safety Home

Make sure chemical products (bleach, cleaning products, vitamins, medicines, etc.) in your food storage rooms , closets and pantries are also out of reach of small children.

3 comments:

  1. Do they know why it's twice as high? That seems very strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad!

    I guess we need to pay better attention.

    Sadly, with seven children of my own we have had a few exposures. I had a child shove Tums in her mouth as fast as she could and frighten he baby sitter among other things... We had another child find pills in a mint container in an Aunt's purse. Thankfully he was apprehended before he sampled any of her dangerous meds. She had no small children and just did not think anything of using such a container in her purse.
    Poison Control recommended I buy a tackle box, combo lock it and write the combo on the top of the box to deter my precocious daughter.

    All it takes is a little bit of distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a shocking statistic. I would have never guessed that about Utah.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...