April 22, 2010

Exercise Must Be Done with Wisdom and Order

Exercise is a significant part of overall health, but even it must be done carefully and with wisdom and order. This season of my life I am carefully getting into shape. Even with exercise we need to practice self-control. Some of us can overdo it and the results are injury. How many of us know someone who has past sports injuries mostly because they overdid it?

Because of my own past injuries, I am easing into it. Over the past month I have been walking on my treadmill again. Today I walked 2 miles and that was an accomplishment. I stretched for 10 minutes afterwards, and felt really good. But a few weeks ago 1 mile was an accomplishment. I am working toward a 5K in May, which I will most likely walk with a little jogging. Each week I am adding a little bit more distance so that my body can adjust.

But my goal is not to run a marathon or be my wedding weight (Hello, I've had 7 children!) or only eat organic foods. Just a goal of a healthy heart, joints that don't ache, and more energy to sustain me throughout the day. I've increased my water intake, stopped stuffing myself, and try to incorporate more whole grains, "fruit of the vine" and vegetables in my diet.

As I've reread the Word of Wisdom, I wonder if the "evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days" might include those who promote the ever-changing healthcare advice, exercise equipment and women's magazines on the market today. But I am confident that with careful pondering it out in my mind, I can find "wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures" to make good choices and accomplish overall health for me.

7 comments:

  1. Didn't feel it here, but we are a LONG ways from you just outside of Provo.
    I remember the one from 1992 well. As my first baby slept in her crib down the hall I remember seeing the floor roll from south to north. No, I am really not crazy. It was a cement floor in a ground floor apartment. (In West Jordan, Utah) I looked into the kitchen because I heard rumbling and saw a slight roll come toward me. It rolled quickly through passing under my chair. (The bird even fell off of his perch.) I was in total shock at the novelty and was a young enough mother that I did not think about how serious it could have been. I only marveled at the novelty at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I'd never thought of the evils of men...
    But I think it's true. Healthy is being at a point where you can do what you want to do and the basic health test concur you're doin' alright.
    Good entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really agree with a lot of your thoughts in this post. A Sunday School teacher recently focused on the word "prudence" as found in D&C 89:11. "All these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving." If we are exercising with prudence we will make sure to keep balance in all parts of our lives.

    Exercise can become an unhealthy addiction just like many vices and drugs. If a spouse comes home from work, only to regularly turn around and leave again to "exercise" for two to three hourse, neglecting spouse and children - then prudence has not been observed. Instead exercise has become an addiction or an escape.

    It IS important to keep our bodies strong and healthy. When we exercise with prudence, we might choose to involve our whole family in activities that strengthen our bodies. Exercise doesn't have to be a chore - it can be a lot of fun, especially when done together.

    It is not an accomplishment to run a marathon if you've neglected your family, your faith, or your responsibilities in the process.

    Prudence in all things.

    Wendy
    (Fellow preparedness blogger @ http://iprepared.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, responded on the wrong post!
    Oh, well. We shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said and good food for thought. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said everyone, thanks for your comments and feedback. Exercise and diet should be done with much preparation and wisdom so that you do it right. It is important to read plenty of material and guidelines as to what the best ways are to exercise and eat healthy. There are a lot of fad diets out there trying to get you to buy their products, but most important is that we have the word of wisdom, which is in and of itself a way to follow a "health plan". Anyway, thanks for the input!

    If you have a moment, please check out this website. It has helped me and my family become prepared.

    LDS Emergency Resources - Family and Ward Emergency Preparedness

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...