March 13, 2010

"Making Food Storage A Lifestyle" seminar

Today I attended the "Making Food Storage A Lifestyle" lecture given by Russ Silver (a chapter leader of the Weston A. Price Foundation) at a Healing and Wholeness expo sponsered by my sister and brother-in-law at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi.

After the seminar I was able to speak with Russ and his wife. I hope to visit them in their home soon to see how they live on their food storage. This seminar opened my eyes to some healthy ideas about food storage. Logical, not way out there stuff. I learned the importance of having fats in the diet. And the importance of baking with 3 or 4 mixed grains (wheat, spelt, kamut, barley, rice, etc.). And storing sea salt. Russ has had many years of experience in storing and using his food storage. He has studied various cultures of healthy people, and learned how to remain healthy himself. He has not had the flu in 15 years! There is much for me to learn. I am digesting his DVD which is helping me understand some healthy ways of eating and storing. Since I am a semi-homemade food storager, I have a long way to go. I know some of my readers do a much better job of this than I do, but I am willing to learn.

If you are interested in learning some of his healthy eating and storage ideas, go to heritagelectures.com or to the Weston A. Foundation.

6 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Nourishing Traditions" the book that is referenced in this seminar. It was very interesting and has lots of information. Do you think it is worth my time/$$ to buy the video of Mr. Silver's seminar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. For me it was worth it, but I haven't read "Nourishing Tradtions". I know that I picked up on some great food practices that I want to change, but I could never be 100% whole foods. I like the fact that I can listen and see his ideas (some demonstrations). I think part of it is on YouTube if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food storage is such a complex issue that as much as I study I feel like a have a long way ahead. thanks for sharing your feeling and ideas. Love from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just found your blog recently and have been having so much fun reading back through your it. Thank you for all that you are doing! You have so many wonderful links and helpful advice that makes this all so doable. We have been working on emergency preparedness in our family. Slowly but surely. It can be such an overwhelming process but is amazing how quickly it all comes together. Thanks again for your wonderful blog!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to come across the WAPF by myself. I've now read Nourishing Traditions and changed the way we eat. We recently moved to LA so there are tons of local options for food here and we can even get raw milk at the Farmer's Market. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making the switch to 100% whole foods is not hard. We ate mostly packaged/processed foods. We owe it to our children and future grandchildren to make the change. Health care reform starts in the kitchen, not in Washington ;) PS: Nourishing Traditions is AMAZING!!! Here's another awesome healthy food storage, preparedness & natural living website that I love: www.themodernpioneermom.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...