March 15, 2010

Honey for Food Storage: Where to Purchase and How to Store


Honey is one of those items I keep in my food storage; however, there are various opinions on where to buy it and how to store it. I purchased several 5 lb. containers from Sam's Club in CA several years ago and it crystallized (normal). Because it was in a tall 5 lb. container, it was very difficult to re-liquify in hot water in a pan.

I called Miller's Honey (Utah, not CA) with my questions. They told me that Sam's Club in Utah has the best price ($13.99 or $2.33/lb.) for a 6 lb. container for local honey, but you should transfer it into smaller glass containers. Hello! It's not good to reheat a large container over and over again. You want to re-liquify ALL of it. Wildflower honey in 5 lb. buckets costs $13.30 or $2.66/lb. at the factory located at 3000 South West Temple, SLC.

Harmon's grocery store will carry Miller's honey in January and the fall at their case lot sales. Last year's price for a 5 lb. container was $14.99 or $3.00/lb.

Costco in Utah sells Silverbow Honey (but it is from Washington bees) ($11.99 or $2.00/lb.) for a 6 lb. container. You can get a 12 lb. bucket for $31.50 if you live near 1120 East Wheeler Road, Moses Lake, WA.

Other people buy honey in buckets from local beekeepers and then transfer it into their own mason jars which are much easier to heat to de-crystallize. I called my local beekeeper, (Wayne) Perry's Honey (801) 451-2346 at 1162 N. Main Street in Farmington, UT (red brick house on corner). A Gallon 12 lb. is $25, 1/2 Gallon 6 lb. is $13, Quart 3 lb. is $7. I understand that some people with allergies benefit from eating honey made by local bees.

Because I am still learning, I want to share a link to a post at Homesteading Today. This site also has some great articles in the Survival and Emergency Preparedness section and I liked this recent thread discussion.
It is important to know where your honey comes from and how it was processed. Do your homework because some honey on the market has corn syrup added to it and they don't have to tell you on the label. Legally it can say Pure.
Store in a dark location away from sunlight.

Honey Links:

National Honey Board Learn about honey, yummy recipes, etc. It does not include all honey beekeepers, but those registered with the National Honey Board.
Miller's Honey (produced in Utah since 1894. Don't confuse with the CA company) 801-486-8479 Honey is not pasteurized.

17 comments:

  1. I use honey every day in my bread (http://moneysavinghabits.com/2009/09/22/back-to-school-lunches-bread/). Last year I started storing honey in a used glass snapple jar. Once it's empty I can run it through the dishwasher to clean. Then refill it with honey (using a funnel). That way I'm pouring out a tablespoon of honey out of 16 ounces, not a 5# container.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of transferring it to mason jars. (I'm imagining my sticky kitchen!)

    Yes, honey helps with allergies. I took a tablespoon of honey along with raw apple cider vinegar in a half cup of warm water several times a day during allergy season. That was several years ago and I haven't suffered since.

    You can also buy powdered honey. I just bought a package yesterday so I haven't had time to use it yet, but it seems pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a local beekeeper and if I had a customer come to me and ask for their honey in Mason jars or glass jars (I can get 2lb jars easily), I would be delighted to accomodate them. So don't be afraid to ask a local beekeeper - we are set up for the drips and mess.

    As for crystalization - honey is prone to do that in drier climates and in some storage locations. Crystalization doesn't affect the honey. YOu can used it while crystallized - tho it is easier to pour when liquid!

    Try storing honey in the freezer - it won't freeze completely but it won't crystallize either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, which city do you produce your honey in? We're looking to buy some local, raw honey.

      Delete
  4. Where is Cox honey? it's local and it's always a stop whenever I go to Logan, usually about twice a year... to get butter, cheese at the Gossner factory,and you can refill your buckets (after you clean them of course!)oh course I won't mention that's where's the fatboy's factory is...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a giant pail of Honey one year. I put some of it in canning jars and the rest stayed in the bucket. (Oddly my kids do not like applesauce and they thought the honey was applesauce on the shelves. This was a good thing. It helped the honey to last.)

    When I was ready to use what was in the bucket I scooped it out and warmed it in the microwave. (Okay some hate microwaves, but it was quick.)

    And have you ever used crystallized honey on toast? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your wonderful comments and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know about the Farmington honey. I live nearby and hadn't heard of it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother used to have us fill our bathtub with warm/hot water so we could place a bucket of crystallized honey in it and transfer some to her large glass jar. Better to do this when liquid but this is an idea if it's already crystallized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a bucket of honey at Cox in Logan but then found that the price at Honeyville Grain by the airport was better. Their prices change often so it is best to call them and ask how much the buckets of honey are right now.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful website. I too have the problems with storing honey. Today, I found powdered honey at barryfarm.com. I going to start searching for honey powder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crystallized honey can really be a horror sometimes, if they are not placed in proper containers. It's great though that we can transform these into creamed honey and add more texture to food, or just reheat all of it back to its liquid form.

    Small containers do help slow down the crystallization process, such as these honey in bear bottles, which, I'm sure people of all ages will enjoy.

    Thank you for the tips and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Storing honey is glass containers is always better than storing it in plastic bears or plastic buckets. There are two reasons for this. Glass containers distribute heat more evenly. This makes it easier to gently warm your honey without causing damage to your container.

    The other reason is because glass maintains the integrity of the honey on a taste and chemical basis. When any substance is stored in plastic for a substantial period of time or at a warmer temperature you tend to notice a distinct difference in taste. If you want your honey to last a long time and taste great when you get around to using it make sure you store it in glass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a local beekeeper (Spanish Fork). We can do bulk pricing of $2.25/lb or $2.00/b if you buy more than one 5 gallon bucket.
    801-471-6910-Riley Beck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does anyone know how many lbs of honey is recommended per adult for long term food storage?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi J Petersen. It depends on who you talk to. This food storage calculator is the old one the LDS church years ago. I believe 3 lbs. of honey per person over 7 years of age.
    http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello.. Thanks for all your comments even though they were written long ago. They were still helpful...especially knowing to put honey into mason jars for easier storage. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions! Sorry you have to show word verification, but it prevents spam.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...