July 24, 2009

Preparedness Thoughts, and Introducing a 72-Hour Mock Disaster Drill

Driving to and from California for a family vacation gave me plenty of time to think about life and preparedness. We enjoyed some fun-filled days at the beach and Disneyland, but now it's back to reality. During a nice visit on the beach with old friends, the discussion of the state of the economy and preparedness came up. I could sense the concern, yet also the unquenchable human desire to learn from the past to prepare for the future. As I wrote down goals of what I desired to accomplish when I returned home, a few came to mind:

Health Preparedness: Walk daily. Eat sensibly and avoid articles about perfect-foods. Play Sudoku daily to strengthen my mind and scriptures daily to strengthen my spirit.

Grocery Shopping & Food Storage: Take an exact food storage count. Continue to carefully purchase storable foods at a discount. Follow The Plan by purchasing foods my family will eat, keeping an inventory, and purchasing more. Continue to teach my children how to shop frugally, use a budget, and that saving money is fun!

Emergency Preparedness: Study more about outdoor cooking using a Dutch oven and/or solar oven. Finish articles on emergency supplies on this blog. Invite others to join me in a 72-hour Mock Disaster Drill this September where we live without power, and eat what we store. If you are interested, please email me at PreparedLDSFamily@gmail.com More details coming!

Random thoughts, but what I am pondering.

"Remember the past; learn from it. Contemplate the future; prepare for it. Live in the present; serve in it." Thomas S. Monson, “The Mighty Strength of the Relief Society,” Ensign, Nov 1997, 94

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Thanks for all the tips and inspiration to do this important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great video! Thanks for all the information you have on your site it's a great help!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...